Tuesday, March 19, 2013

more wacky face book posts

the world makes sense and non-sense, as Jung said, referring to the sense of apparent non-sense, which takes patience, and a willingness to move with uncertainty

As I just told my friend, Jo Ewing Anderson: I'm just a simple man fumbling his way through a world of symbols he neither asked for nor created: maybe I've picked up smatterings of knowledge here and there which I recombine in a rag tag effort to stave off collapse and engulfment in the ravaging tide and tempest of a world indifferent to my fraught existence.
Having trifled the earth for 52 years I only pray for a pittance more to breathe in air and exhale the pallid effluvium of my rasping will. Mark Hall, when you come down here again, I'll see if it can be arranged for the organ here to be unguarded for a bit. It might take some doing.


I'm not very organized. When people inquire of my success, I respond, "poor planning and negligence - the lesson of the stars and planets in their spheres and orbits is entropy, a fine tuned aleatory progression where the root is dissonant only with itself." I owe it all to scouting.

what to do next; where to look; how to put things together - these are things many people are working on. Every day a little something goes right, a few things run off kilter, while inertia and entropy bathe the rest, quietly, tenderly

I was told I don't talk about my passion enough: I don't express my passion for art and pastoral care. It's a difficult thing to talk about, as work with that specific description isn't overtly available. I love to talk about what it is to be an artist, to share my work and process, as well as spirituality especially in terms of working with grief, loss, and those patterns of inertia that plague our lives. This kind of thing is the one way I feel that I help people - in working out their own issues with creativity and spirituality (which are really not separate, but society tends to bracket them apart for what must be actuarial reasons).
Any advice people have is welcome.


always suspicious of quotes (Ambrose? I find it hard to believe of all the patristics to quote, that this guy sits back with a scotch and wades through Ambrose of Milan for the sheer joy of it) when I suspect the quoter hasn't read that material or is unaware of the historical context the quote comes from. Of course, we all feel a need to appeal to authorities when we doubt our own material or fear that others may doubt us.

sometimes a door closes and a window opens, but only half-way, and then another door opens but in such a way that the knobs interlock with the door opposite; and then that window over the door, the transom, closes, just as the door opens down the hall - you can hear it, just in time for the window that was open opposite the door that closed to open briefly proffering a view of a half closed but open door wedged shut.







No comments: