Wednesday, March 13, 2013

and why not







A blog is a kind of journal, and when you've attained the selectivity of readership I have (whittling it down to none), the freedom gained is to write anything and display images - for no reason at all. Here I've recapitulated images from the summer while we vacationed on the Isle of Palms. We found a little frequented place on the beach and I had fun with exposure settings on my camera. I had my books and watercolors with me. 

I thought about posting on facebook an observation, or more a question, that If when people speak about God they usually are speaking about themselves - are they not (we me you I) speaking about ourselves even when we're talking about others. Jung seems to say so, and perhaps Lacan concurs in a few places. I might say that we are always speaking about ourselves except when we actually speak about ourselves. When I speak about myself, I wonder that the need for my ego to defend itself isn't at its strongest here. Indeed the ego's need to defend itself could explain a lot of what we say about others (we throw all that stuff about ourselves onto them - that poor idiot driving too slow in the left lane, the cashier who talks too long to the customer in front of us).

So when I'm speaking about myself, that's the one time I'm not actually talking about myself. That seems thoroughly Lacanian. One of his memorable lines to me is the description of how we can't talk about ourselves - even as we intend to - to an other - or that we might talk about ourselves but then we're not actually talking to (speaking with) this other person (usually the therapist, but it could be anyone). 

I was stalled in an interview one time by some old coot who insisted that I hadn't told them What I wanted to do. And the truth is, I don't. My whole life has been framed in doing what others want me to do (while at the same time, I have to admit that I've only done what I wanted to do - most embarrassingly in staying too long with a church that took way too much from me; and most embarrassingly in delaying finishing my library science thesis's completion). 

No comments: