Saturday, June 23, 2007

Great with Child

May friend Suzanne made a comment years ago that all my figures were skinny. So I did a couple of pregnant nudes: this is one of them. I called it Great with Child - after the KJV phrasing of Mary's and Elizabeth's pregnancies. Today we don't say a woman is great with child, unless she's very good with children. Or perhaps this punctuation of the phrase might be appropriate, "Great! with child [again]."
I should do more pregnant nudes again someday.
Today's food blogging item is a childhood reminiscence: when I was a young child, my grandparents ran a store. A mom and pop store. It was a general store with produce, dry goods, and gasoline, Union 76. The store was located on the edge of town, across from the cemetery. During the summers there was little to do but draw and play among the pot holes of the parking lot. One fun thing to do was to go inside and open the cooler where the small coke bottles were. Open one, take a swallow, and open a bag of salted peanuts. I would take the bag's crenelated edge in my teeth and tear, opening the bag. Then I would pour peanuts into the coke. The first swallow was a cavalcade of salty goodness, sweet and salty at once.
On a summer day when temperatures soared into the high 90s and the Braves were already in fifth place by late May, such pleasures were cherished.

No comments: