Sunday, June 17, 2007

All I've ever wanted in this life


Jami beams at me, smiling on her birthday. And my heart is buoyant with delight. Even though she's protested most of the photos I've taken and posted, I think that she'll like these. To me, she is beautiful in every photo I've posted. Here she is early in the morning, reading my previous post on Bloomsday on Bloomsday.
Today was the Oakhurst Picnic. Our church here, a wonderful church where there really is diversity, where we're not part of the most segregated hour in America, is precious to us. When I first came to Columbia Theological Seminary I went to Central in downtown Atlanta. Central is a wonderful church. Ted Wardlaw, the pastor back then [he's since gone on to be head of Austin Seminary], preached good sermons. I also knew a few of the elders there. One of my favorite services at Central involved a blue grass choir. The service used blue grass extensively. I'll have to write about the power of blue grass in another post. If you want to feel like you're in a progressive congregation with all the acoutrements of ancient power and wealth, that's the place to go. They do many good things in the inner city: run a night shelter, provide services for the homeless and poor, medical care, literacy programs.
Central, however, is a long way for a seminarian to drive. Oakhurst, less than two miles from CTS, became my default church. I found myself looking forward to being there: singing with the gospel choir and the chancel choir; passing the peace for 15 minutes; and being in church with african-americans and people of different sexual orientations. I felt liberated here. The fact that Jami has gone there for over five years makes it that much more special. It is also the church we were married in.
All I want is to paint, to love this woman, and to be a minister.
Anyway I like these two photos: Jami's smiling and laughing - perhaps at the thought of beating me in scrabble. Perhaps at one of my great jokes.

No comments: