Monday, May 14, 2007

Apocalypso chapter eins

I was in the middle of nowhere on the Lord's day, because of the testimony and because of the witness. The sky above me contained a single cloud and the land around me was all waist high grass bisected by an empty draw. All around me was silence but for the sound of distant thunder. And I thought I would lie down and sleep. And a voice spoke to me saying, "mortal, can you see beyond the sky?" and I answered that I did not know. Startled I looked around and could see no one speaking to me, but the wind picked up across the grass and formed a path, and the voice said, "walk here." And I walked. As I was walking I became aware that the grass contained many living creatures: insects, lizards, birds, rabbits, snakes and suddenly, as I reached the empty draw, there was a deer. The deer had two massive antlers with fifteen points each. It's coat was gold and silver. It's eyes were emeralds and its hoofs were teakwood. It smelled of incense. I stood in awe of it. It looked at me and spoke with a human voice, "Son of man, pay attention to what you are seeing here for it is a vision of what must certainly happen." And as soon as the magnificent deer spoke, the grass separated and water gushed down the draw and it would have swept me away but I was snatched up into the air and brought to the shore of a lake. The lake was solid ice but all around it was a verdant forest alive with sounds and fecund with growth. When I put my foot on the ice I saw that frozen within its sheet was a city of men and women, each was frozen in the business of buying and selling. And as I looked at them my heart was heavy with sorrow.

No comments: