Saturday, July 21, 2007

In his 100th year


Bonneau Dickson completed his baptism last week and today, Saturday July 21st, Jami and I attended his memorial service at Rock Springs PCUSA. Some people are fortunate enough that their faith and character effect the Church over a long span of time. Certainly his career as a minister is nearly as long as Columbia Seminary's history in Decatur. This last May at graduation I took some photographs of Bonneau and Jami conversing. At the time I believed that he would make his 100th birthday. He seemed lucid in conversation, still possessed of some wit and a sense of presence. He was still working in the development office when Jami began as Annual Fund director in 2002. He was encouraged me in my sermons and ministry: he preferred my Gen 15:6 sermon to the award winning sermon - which made me feel good. The memorial service was satisfying. I felt we had the opportunity to reflect on Bonneau and say good-bye.

2 comments:

madsquirrel said...

I hope to have eyebrows like that someday....

nostromo said...

Jami plucks them, that's how she gets hers that way.