Thursday, July 05, 2007

Figures

I went and saw my great uncle, Frank, at the Home. He's in the same place that my grandmother spent her last six months at, but he still has his senses. Sure, each time he sees me he calls me by my dad's name, Jerry. He says, Jerry, glad to see you. And I go along with it. His twins brother's name was Fred. Fred died in a mill accident, his arm was ripped off by a machine and he bled to death, four years before I was born. I'm named after him. So if I say that I'm Fred too early in our conversation uncle Frank will say, "you look well. I haven't seen you in years. " I'm afraid at those moments he might think I'm a ghost. So at the beginning of our time together I accept the fact that I'm Jerry. Even though I'm not.
Over the course of our conversation uncle Frank will piece it together and blurt out, "you're not Jerry you're Fred."
Instead I listen to my uncle talk about his life. He'll repeat the phrase, "life's a teacher" several times, and I can't help wondering what he's learned over 98 years. I consider that in 47 years I've learned that things work out. I can anxiously buy the best seller now or I can check it out at the library in a few weeks or buy it in the remainder bin for a dollar in a month. That all I was anxious about at 20 or 22 or 26 or 30 has had a way of working out and that if I'd been less impulsive I'd have saved myself some grief as well as some money.
Frank talks about being in the Masons. He talks about teaching Sunday school for 30 years. He talks about his wife and his brother and his mother (the Victoria I'd posted on previously here). He wants to know that I'm right with the Lord - though he's less prone to preach now. His faith seems more declarative now than imperative. More about what he believes than what I should believe.
I used to pester him for information about his father and grandfather. But I've not these last two times. Still he tells me that I remember things better than he does. As much as I want to turn over some long fallow piece of family lore, some secret that will unravel the mystery like a massive knot, I realize that such a thing is not worth it here. I have started to simply enjoy being in uncle Frank's presence. Here is a man who is 98 this November. He has lived a life. Now he is tucked under his blanket in his room on a day after Independence day and it's 93 degrees outside. Just a few years ago he would have been sitting on the front porch at this place: now he's in his room. He lives outside of time.
When I leave I don't play the radio in my car. I want to retain the feel of being with him and hearing him as far down the road as I can.

1 comment:

Cathelou said...

Just wanted to note that your comments about the latest best seller do not apply to Harry Potter.

With love from the wife