Saturday, July 28, 2007

I'm staying up late writing

When I worked for a web company we had a contract with a coffee company: I had my ideas for plugging the product, ideas of the highest caliber, ideas which were ignored. I don't know where this drawing is now. It could be in a stack here or in my studio; it could be sold of lost. Her face, looking forlornly into the cup, is indicative of that moment of anticipation that the trimethyl zanthines will do their work and block receptor sites that signal drowsiness, giving the impression of an elevation of alertness.
And now a note about biscuits. My uncle Earl told me the other night that my grandmother made biscuits with lard. She would sift the flower into an old wooden bowl. Into the middle of this flower she would place a hunk of lard and add buttermilk. She would work the lard and buttermilk together until the right consistency was reached. Then she would make little palm sized pads of dough onto a pan, slide into the oven at 375 or so for 15 minutes and viola! Biscuits. Might salt have been added? How about fresh jalapenos?

No comments: