Saturday, October 03, 2009

I've been working on the rail road images 1-4









The first four drawings in my series of "I've been working on the rail road", a song I sing a lot lately, perhaps for it's simplicity. I alter the melody, this morning for instance singing it altered to the tune of U2's Bloody Sunday. I change the verses around and language, singing the song backwards: The banjo strums in kitchen all alone/ Dinah blows her horn to pass the time/ The watchman rails upon the road I've worked/ all day along. When I take the principle of unreliable narrator to the song, mysteries are opened up. What events does this song chronicle? Is it a veiled reference to a Pinkerton union busting activity, a miners' strike?
How do we account for Dinah's reluctance to blow the horn? That she must be asked repeatedly. Who is this person in the kitchen with her? Is there a person at all, or do we merely suspect? And the banjo strumming. An old banjo and not a new one? Does a person really work on the rail road just to pass the time away? All day long? Early in the morning?
In the second drawing from the top, you can see the banjo player's foot on a bit of rail. The only real reference visually to rail roads in any of the series.
I'm also confused about whether a watchman or a captain shouts for Dinah to blow her horn. This song has been around since I was small, singing it in 2nd grade. Yet it's not the classic that Little Maggie is (another song that as I have worked on this series has settled in; another song that has two sets of lyrics, and I wonder in the end of the song, What is this image of her on the banks of the ocean with a 45 strapped around her and a baby?)
I've been working on the rail road is almost as banal song a Polly Waddle Doodle all Day - which opens The Wild Bunch. Still while that song defies decoding, Working on the Rail Road invites it. And so: I have the dialectice of the chess match: a reference to Jung's notion that the unconscious and conscious exist in a dialectic. The characters around them are not distractions but archetypes, symbols indicating an unknown goal - as Jung also said.

No comments: