Sunday, October 04, 2009

Early images of my grandmother, Mattie Fay, her family and my grandfather








The bottom photo, which must be Mattie Fay at her father's funeral in 1918, is so evocative of the 19th century South: the mule, the bonnet, taking a photo in a graveyard - who does that? And then the photos of her with her mom and siblings, alone on the school grounds that was in the mill town her family moved to. And the top photo, my grandfather courting her, in the graveyard next to his daddy's farm. I like how this set is bracketed by two graveyard photos. These photos as well are source photos for the Working on the Rail Road chapbook. My grandmother, for some reason, comes to mind when I hear the song Little Maggie. A song that seems out of character for my teatotaling, church going, grandmother. But then, as she told me, she and my grandfather lived a much rougher life when they first married.


No comments: