Monday, October 05, 2009

a nearly perfect photo

I found this photo of my dad's mom, Granny Wise, and his sister, Mary, circa 1956. A photo I think dad took. The original has a smoother gray scale: that is, when I look at it I see so many different grays, more than in the typical photo. The tone and poses, the activities, all have a stasis, an equipoise that speaks to me. When I first saw it, I thought: the perfect photo. And I could be wrong, but some criteria. But to me, the balance, the solitude, the quiet implied here, were so compelling. It is not a flashy image. Nothing incredible is happening here. Just a mother and daughter preparing dinner. That table was still sitting in that kitchen 50 years later. The interior is not that different. There's now a fixture overhead, newer appliances and a sink in the corner in the back. But it's so very much the same. Well - now Granny Wise is staying with my dad and they're selling the house. Who lives in a house 60 years anymore?

No comments: