Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hello Durham



None of these photographs was taken in Durham, but that doesn't stop me from using them to evoke, albeit only obliquely and not exactly, not sufficiently, the change that has occurred in just these last days: where I have left the hospital in Atlanta and moved to Durham to be with my wife, Jami, after 5 arduous months of geographic separation. If you were to relate the photos to Bartok's 1st, 3rd, and 6th string quartets, then something would be added to the feeling, the sensibility. Think of the transition from Antonioni's E'Clisse, the ending, where nothing is said for 10 minutes, and then break out Sinatra's You Make me Feel So Good.
Jami welcomed me Friday night with all my favorites, cheese, nuts, marinating steaks, and with her exuberant love. I'd had a rough day and I'd been sick. Even as I write this I'm still prone to fits of coughing. Hopefully I'll see a doctor on Monday, as I'm extending my stay here for a week. I'll be back in Atlanta for a few days the week next, packing up the house, readying things for the final move. Then we'll rent the house: a wonderful 3 bdrm, 1 bath 1947 ranch, with deck and spacious back yard, located in exciting Oakhurst, within walking distance to the Eastlake MARTA station and a 15 minute drive to downtown Atlanta. Perfect for a family just starting out.
Come the 1st of February this is where I'll be, with my wife, in our apartment with our cats, painting and working out my call as a minister of Word and Sacrament. In the meanwhile, I do look forward to seeing people in Atlanta and Birmingham soon, after the 21st.

No comments: