Thursday, December 17, 2015

reading lacan's "anxiety"


For the holidays, I try to incorporate popular themes into my drawings. This particularly dense sketchbook drawing began as a modest reflection on Christmas: Santa eats a turkey leg carved by an apron wearing elf; I made the composition balanced on the next page with a ham slice eating pilgrim. Before I knew it, I had included other elements: a hare jumping over a jagged horizon as a clock strikes midnight; dogs and cats; a dice playing lobster; mid century locomotives on a collision course; and Lacan's graph of desire. In fact, one table is labeled with the matheme for fantasy and the other with the matheme for drive. The floor decoration refers to Lacan's various topologies for the subject's connection to the real, the imaginary and the symbolic. Topping it off, I am bothered by the hymn Harvest Home (an annoyance I've elaborated in other recent drawings). Perhaps the drawing is an attempt at saying, "use the holidays to traverse the fantasy and ride the drive." - so it brings a message of hope for everyone.


No comments: