Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I haven't written


Currently I have a job where I read the same response hundreds of times a day. I've done this before and now, 15 years later, I'm doing it again. It's a relaxing job, otherwise, working with people who are also over educated. But it is mentally taxing. Doing this job I realize how difficult it is to be creative, when you just want to let your mind relax. I know that others would love to be creating something right now, but that their work takes vitality out of them. Certainly Jami and I plan for a day when we have the where-with-all to devote ourselves to writing and painting.
It is a curiosity of human history that what marks The Human across the centuries is identified with the creative traditions fostered and created artifacts left behind. The part of the image of God that is traditionally underplayed is the image of Creator. Instead we find ourselves involved finding our identities in the work of survival - which is not part of God's image: God doesn't work to survive. In Proverbs 8, beginning with verse 22 and culminating in 30, Wisdom describes God's work and her presence with God, in fact her activities as a master craftsman, as play, as delight. Work as we experience it, as a necessity to sustain life at the expense of leisure, is unknown in the "work" of God.
And this is the benefit of Sabbath: that we refrain from working to sustain ourselves and allow others to do so as well, in order to set aside the non-God's-image of workingness, or labor, for celebration of God's image in us, the image of work as play creativity, the rediscovery of ourselves.
It's been a wonderful Sabbath, but in the morning I'll get up and go to work and Jami will go to work, as will my friends and family. But I do not forget the promise of God's final Sabbath for humanity, a feast, a celebration.

No comments: