Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's

This is our second Valentine's day together. The photograph above was taken last year in our Decatur home. This year we went to a French restaurant here in Durham (yes, a day early, but we practice a more leisurely Valentine's - as apparently do some other couples we've met) and we had soups and pork dishes. I had beets. And the most incredible thing: goat cheese rolled in pepper - tres intense. This place reminded me of the Alsace in Decatur or Violette's off Clairmont. My favorite, the South of France, is no longer in existence near the Tara- leaving the Varsity with its chilli dogs to rule that corner of the eating world.
What could be more romantic than listening to Edith Piaf's Vie en Rose, eating a chilli dog, and preparing to watch Lives of Others. Imagine a chilli dog, on a plate with cherries and shaved cabbage, little rolled up balls of pepper encrusted goat cheese, with shitake mushrooms and shallots. Pop open a Beaujolais and it's gourmand heaven.
Two years this Feb 2nd we've been together and I"m still crazy about Jami. We're still crazy about each other. What's incredible is that she listens to my ideas about food. I can tell I'm having an impact.

No comments: