Thursday, October 18, 2007

Come visit my studio this weekend


Above you see a photo of how the exterior of my studio looks right now. I've arranged the boxes in two stacks on either side of the entrance. This makes it a narrow passage. In the middle I've placed a stool with some blocks of wood and a paint covered mason jar. A piece of clear plastic tubing crosses the aperture at eye level, and boxes that are still folded cross over the gap at about 6 feet. I've intended that no one should get inside: unless they remove the stool and sidle in. I hope that they don't. Inside I've put all paintings against the wall, except for this one, that I did tonight. No one should see it - except people looking at this blog.
Saturday night there's an opening for someone. Typically the gallery owner turns on the lights in all our spaces - like someone might come in and buy something. I'm having nothing of it. For one thing, such a thing is unlikely. So I've constructed an environment that discourages entry. You can look from the outside - but you can't enter. On the floor are two Pellegrino bottles. There is an open box of books in my wing back chair.
I swear I know that someone, intending well, will go into my space and tun on the light. If they do, would someone go there and turn it back off - If you can't reach the switch don't worry. There is I have to stand on tip toe. If the stool and blocks of wood and painted mason jar have been moved from blocking the gap, put them back. No one must get into this space. The only person who can get into the space is the person who undoes the work of the person who opens it up. Don't worry about getting things perfect. You've joined in making the art work. All I ask is remember: lights out; stool in middle of the gap between the stacks of boxes. Put the mason jar on it and the blocks of wood. Hopefully you won't have to do this. I suppose that the show starts Saturday at 7:30 or so. The gallery is right next to Fellini's on Sycamore place. My space should be obvious.
Thanks for your help.

1 comment:

madsquirrel said...

Is it that blurry in person? How was the househunt visit?