Friday, June 17, 2016

more thoughts about troughs of despair






originally posted on face book with pages from my journal : I've reposted here but with images from a painting I'm working on.


journal pages : the struggle continues. I connected the dots and made an amazing macrame owl. When my grandmother became indifferent to the snuff can and spoon in her room, I knew she had left us. A contemporary French philosopher, Catherine Malabou, has addressed this removal of the person from their history in an engaging essay called Ontology of the Accident. She writes, "One does not die as one is, one dies as one suddenly becomes[p 69]. " Various traumas affect changes in us, such that a different person emerges. What has happened is a puzzle. A person may say "farewell to themselves" and become "an ontological refugee." [pp 24 -31]. Trauma can be sudden, a hit or a shock, as well as long term, unemployment or abuse - conditions that may cover decades. The phrase 'ontological refugee' is evocative on an internal nomad - one day we discover that our ego was simply the tent of our existence, and that it has now been struck and traveled on over the horizon.

No comments: