Monday, July 07, 2008

I'm an artist



I have been drawing most of my life. I remember when I was 9, I gessoed a piece of hardboard and painted the height of my aspirations: a pirate, in my closest approximation to what I thought Rembrandt did (albeit with no idea of glazing and scumbling techniques) - a painting that still hangs in the hall of my dad's house.
These three images are more recent. The bottom one has been reproduced here before: "out of chaos" is a painting I performed during a week of chapel services at CTS right after Katrina. Karen and Bruce Miller now own it and it hangs in their front dining room/parlor.
The middle image is a small painting (the out of chaos is 4 x 5 feet, this painting is more like 16 x 20 inches) of an interior at a bar. Chester Topple now owns it and where he has it at his house, I don't know.
And the top image is a water color (the other two paintings are acrylic) about 8 x 10 of Lucretia, holding the knife, about to plunge it in. It's unsold and it's lying around here somewhere.
I realized that I haven't posted much art lately - actually June was pretty slim for me posting anything.
Enjoy.
There are certainly aspects of these images, the process used, the subject matter, that I hope to combine and continue. Right now I have an easel set up on our screened porch and I'm going out there soon and begin to paint. I haven't painted (I've drawn plenty) since I closed my studio in Decatur.
Mostly I've drawn complex scenes with multiple figures on a 12 inch square sheet of paper, scenes influenced by Breugel and Thomas Nast: scenes satirical, bombastic, and large scale/small size.

No comments: