Tuesday, March 18, 2008

St Patrick's day during Holy Week


And why wouldn't Jesus go right to his local tavern after such a triumphal entry. Do we want to think maybe he went to a tea at the Swann Coach House and traded bon mots with the garden club over finger sandwiches? I think that in the headiness of the moment that the disciples got smashed. They would be coming out of their hangovers just in time for Maundy Thursday.
In both these photographs of paintings you can see my right foot wearing Merrills.
Top: Naked pregnant female Christ. In death rebirth, the pangs of a woman in labor. How I would have gathered you like chicks under my wing but you would not.
Bottom: St Catherine of Sienna.
Hello Mother-
Hello Father-
Here I am
With my stigmata.
Sheets are messy.
Clothes are ruddy.
Who knew holiness could be so awful bloody.
(sung to the tune of Heus Mater, Heus Pater, Hic Sum, In Castris Granadis - an old latin hymn. The exact hymn that caused Ambrose of Milan such consternation if I'm not mistaken. Some scholars think that this hymn may be contemporary with the Incarnation hymns in Colossians and Philippians, if not older. Some discern the influence of Q or Thomas in the pacing of its lacunae.)

1 comment:

Gaye Dimmick said...

Wow I actually had the Camp Granada board game when I was a kid.Who would have thought it could have a religious uptake.Fabulous Fred!!!Great art work too.By the way,I still read your post about being crucified between two sausages (or was it wieners)from time to time...there is sooo much to it.Great stuff Fred....and Happy Holy Week.