Thursday, March 06, 2008

History/Probability


In a week I'm talking with the examinations committee here to join this presbytery and then I"ll meet the COM the next day. What will be the upshot? I'll be here, perhaps as a member at large. I'm a minister without portfolio. As an artist I have a portfolio, as well as a ministry. But how to pursue it?
How can I convince people to give me sums of money that will fund my project? I'm calling it "big paintings for the Church." What "big paintings for the Church" will do is provide churches with large paintings, perhaps conventional canvas paintings, but I can see a function for other genres: spray paint for instance - what if churches tagged their communities: they could drive their volvos and buicks and step out in their suits and dress clothes and plaster billboards with slogans like "rogue state" and "What the F**K would Jesus Do." My favorite "the dead in Christ shall rise - come see us this Sunday." Of course I won't tell the committee about my ties to the zombie wing of the Presbyterian Church.
Anyway, I'm thinking "big paintings for the Church" will do fine. I'll start by simply painting one painting for one church of reasonable size. However this will take support from people who share my vision for Art in the Church. Tubes of cadmium red and flake white don't grow on trees (except at this superfund site in Missouri).
I also have big concepts for the Church - concepts so big, so enormous, so vast - well I got nothing, at least right now.
I will say this: in Pierre Boulez's Repons, on a Deutsche Grammaphoe recording, on track 3, 1 minute and 43 seconds into the track, the most wonderful piano phrase occurs. I've played it again and again, driving in the rain today, where Durham is still under drought restrictions, in the rain driving down 147, where I've occasioned to repeat this phrase so much that I missed my exit and found myself at the airport. It goes: dot ta de da da da dot te dee da di di di deh di di deh. It would make a wonderful intro to a radio show, such as are heard on NPR, where I would answer people's questions about art and spirituality and cheese. People could come visit me and tell me about their experiences with painting, yoga and wenslydale.
Two days this week rain has come down in buckets here in Durham. Beautiful.

No comments: