Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas: the most wunderbarishe Zeit des Jahrens



I have a story like Jami's Snorky story. But I don't have time to write it now. Here's photos of slides of me at Christmas when I was 7. I think I was 7. Batman was big. I got a bike. Jami comments on the bottom slide that I'm smiling but my dad and granny Wise are quite somber. We looked through photographs and we didn't have one of dad smiling anywhere. Whether he was holding me as an infant on the front porch of my great grandparent's house, standing in front of a personnel carrier in Germany (that's understandable), or posing with a friend in their Boy Scout uniforms - dad remains somber.
We'll see him and granny Wise today and I'll take a photo.

And I have an observation: last night we went to the Christmas Eve service at Oakhurst and I noticed during Silent Night that it shares some melody and rhythm with Blow the Man Down.
Try it. You have to slow Blow the Man Down down a bit. Blow the man down is a cantus firmus for Silent Night. Or maybe it's Silent Night that's the cantus firmus. Blow the Man Down might be more a ostinato.

1 comment:

Cathelou said...

I was going to comment, then you said your dad and Granny Wise looked as if they were auditioning for an Ingmar Bergman film.

There's no point in saying anything more.