Tuesday, November 20, 2012

credo

I came across this fragment of a creed I was working on a few years ago. I think about replacing the perfectly serviceable creed in my PIF (that little form for employment we Presbyterians use to disclose the surface facts of what kind of minister we might be - think computer dating: "loves Calvin and Barth" for "likes long walks and listens to Sinatra". 
Here goes: 
I believe Jesus meets us along life's way - that Emaus is a metaphor for life - and that Jesus is discovered in the life symbolized by the sacraments. He is the sacrament par excellence - that is, as the living word, he brings to speech the covenant centered creation of the triune God.
As God Jesus reveals the life of the Father Son and Spirit among humanity in creation. In his love, teaching, ministry, acts and word, he displays the emptying of the abundance at the heart of God.
In his death he demonstrates what people are in their fears and limitations and what God is in God's courage, love and forgiveness. He suffered death for all and brought death into the life of the Trinity where death was transformed from and end without possibility into an event containing both grief and hope. 
...
[here my manuscript leaves off. I really have to ponder how I might revise what I've written and complete it. I'd like to think it's a bit more adventurous than the kind of boilerplate I'm using now. But it wouldn't be the first time that someone pointed out how standard it still is.]




a poster for the prometheus movie







The emblem of inerrancy






 a mediation about death - I'm having many of these lately. I think, "I'm going to lay off thinking about death for a while." But then something happens and I'm reminded that most things in life are simply diversions to keep our minds off the fact that we're going to die. Happy Holidays.


Sometimes I write something so profound and playful, so redolent of word play and insight, so much a river flowing from my unconscious, that I can't stand myself.



No comments: