Tuesday, October 19, 2010

recent workshop





Three weeks ago seven pastors and I got together for a workshop on using art to open up possibilities in creative thinking for ministry. My premise is along this line: that our culture privileges words and speech, while bracketing off images and the imaginary - in the process people are cut off from parts of themselves that are vital and creative. I offer art, and my experience as an artist and minister, to briefly facilitate getting in touch with this bracketed-off side through drawing and painting.
This was my first workshop, so I was grateful for a friendly audience. Still I was anxious that they would find it worthwhile. They responded wonderfully - working during the day and sometimes into the night on paintings and drawings.
The only rules I put forth were that nothing would be called a mistake, that we would cut off the editing/censoring function, and that we would allow associations to flow freely - also I encouraged them to work faster than they could think about it.
These are not easy things for most people to do - to let go of control and to accept accident and experimentation.
All in all the facilities at Ferncliff, the food and drink, the comradery, and the singing (they turned me on to Chris Smither) were excellent.
Thanks to Shannon, Roger, Lander, Neill, Jeff, Drew, Gene for all their work.

1 comment:

Cathelou said...

Hi honey--

I want to take your workshop too!