Thursday, September 24, 2009

Self portrait with mackeral

Cartoonishness is the most difficult critique of my work that I grapple with. Sometimes the lines are too facile. But is it not also a strength. A strength when pushed in the right direction - when pushed into or along with my imagination.
I can only go in the direction I am. In the past I've gotten into cul de sacs: places where I fall in love with a principle. For instance, there was a time 31-28 years ago that my work consisted of dots with really faint lines linking them. I am now uncertain what I thought I was doing. The positive thing was: I continued to make images. That's what I can say: every day or so I make a drawing or two or three or four or five or ten.
So Here is a fine drawing of me holding a mackeral.

No comments: