Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our house is two blocks from Bisquitville and 10 blocks from East Campus

This summer I've fallen in love with the flatest, muddiest greens. This feeling first occured to me as I walked around the Washington Duke golf course and came across the pond. What a wonderful, scummy green. I'd never felt this way before. It abosrbed light without reflecting it back, refracting light into a jewel-like grayness. This green, I thought, with its drab extravegance, is the color for our century. A century still young, untried in its possibilities. It's in mind of this pond-scum green, that the gray figure I interposed in its matrix, should be seen as an Ophelia. At first I thought a Daphne, but Ophelia, with her more recent entry in the mythic dramatic past suits the sense better.

No comments: