Sunday, August 31, 2008

while Moses

The name, Jethro, has different connotations for us, who might feel that Moses had left Pharaoh's court for Appalachia, the holy mountain being Grandfather mountain (though there is a mount Pisgah nearby with attendant Devil's Courthouse). It is Jethro's sheep (often sojourning biblical heroes wind up taking care of their father-in-law's sheep - the prodigal son is the eventual declinsion of this biblical trope) Moses is shepherding when he spies a bush burning without being consumed. People see things like this in the desert. Never in a city or on a pleasant hillside in the lake country. But in a desert, a place without boundaries or habitations.
And so Moses, curiosity ignited, comes toward the bush, to see why it's not being burned up. A man of science out to discover causes. And God addresses him, when he gets close enough - or it is God's angel who speaks. Greek Orthodox iconography pictures this moment, this bush, as containing the Virgin Mary in the flame. I have to admit this puzzles me. But often the Virgin is depicted with the Trinity in her womb. So I suppose the Virgin is a shorthand for the Trinity.
Anyway. Moses approaches and God introduces Godself. God introduces Godself and gives Moses a quest: no longer a shepherd of sheep but a shepherd of people. And Moses asks, "Who am I." And God tries to console him, to persuade him. And Moses asks, "who are you?" And God says, "I am that I am - or in the Septuagint - I am existence - or in some commentaries I will be what I will be." All God's answers have enticing aspects to them. Brevard Childs puts forth the interpretation in his Exodus commentary that God is saying, "I'm here." God at least knows who God is.
Who am I? Who are you?
Moses cannot answer this question for himself. He neither knows who he is or who God is. In a land without boundaries, he perhaps doesn't even know where he is. Looking at this sight of the burning bush, he perhaps considers that the order of nature is standing on its head. So that he is less certain of who he is than when he began to lead Jethro's sheep. Less certain than when he fled Egypt. Less certain than when he killed an Egyptian, thinking it would herald his revolutionary identification with his kinsmen. Up to this point Moses has made misguided decisions, and perhaps he's wondering if God's taken a real look at his resume.
Who am I? Not much, a shepherd, a fugitive, a person with a hidden past I'd rather not talk about.
Who am I? I don't know. I don't want to know.
But God continues. Funny God. "Listen I want you to do this for me."
And Moses asks, "Who are you?"
I am existence. I'm the very thread and fabric of the world - though I'm not the world. I'm in and out, essence and form.
I am what I will be - I'm not the past, but the ever arriving future. I hold the past but am not limited by it. I am the eternal present.
I am here. I am not far away. I am right now the word in your mouth, the faith in your heart.
In short, God knows who God is and who Moses is.
God interprets Moses to Moses. The ultimate situates the penultimate.
This is Bonhoffer's idea in Christ the Center: "It is only from God that man [sic] knows who he is." Bonoffer says that the Chalcedonian definition (which explains how God became human) distracts us from the real Christological question: Who? Who are you? Who is Christ? Christ meets on the border of our existence, as with Moses. We do not know who we are or where we're going. And God sets us a task. A task that takes us out of conformity with this world, that requires a renewal of our minds. Jesus will confound us with his talk of setting our minds on human thoughts and not God's; his talk of losing our lives to save them - or distressingly, that in saving our lives we will lose them.
How unconcerned Christ is with whether we'll corner the market or have a corner office. Christ asks, "What will you give in return for your life?"
Most people sacrifice their authenticity, desiring to fit in, doing what's expected of them. If they see a burning bush, they are sure the authorities will know what to do about it.
Some sacrifice their authenticity acquiring possessions and honors. Stuffing the void in their lives with diversions.
But God asks the question "who are you" in good faith. God knows who you are and can interpret your life's curious course to you. God sets you a task among the world. To relate to people in love. To seek healing. To overcome evil with good. To mourn with those who mourn and laugh with those who laugh.
How far Christ is from a recruiter, who promises an education or travel.
How far is Christ from the TV hawker, who promises a giant home and luxury.
How far is Yahweh from the desert genii, who promises wealth and prosperity. Three wishes.
God promises that you will know who you are and who God is.
God promises that the losing of a life the world finds acceptable is the finding of a life with real authenticity.

No comments: