Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I am slow out of the gate

I believe that every day I should read some, write some, and draw some - perhaps painting. Every day should evidence some creative effort on my part. Some days words come flowing. I use my time well; my mind is not distracted. Tomorrow I work till 11 pm. It's an odd time to be in the hospital: most patients have eaten and been visited by their doctors; a new shift of nurses and staff are around. The mood seems subdued. At least it did last week: there was rain and the only trauma occurred right at 10 pm. Tomorrow night could be different.
I did want to comment on something I saw at the airport the other day. Jami and I were walking out and we passed a sign that read "oversized baggage inspection." The curious thing, as I remarked to Jami, was that the oversized baggage inspection was the same size as the regular baggage inspection. She seemed to agree with me that this was so. And we speculated on what undersize baggage inspection would look like. Image the tiny bags, perhaps so small as not to be noticed by the human eye. An undersize airport with undersize planes (each flown by kittens). Anyway, this is how comedy is mined; how comedic gold is discovered: just noticing the curious things about life and extrapolating through the imagination what a fuller description of life would be like. In our hugger mugger world the existence of oversize baggage vying with undersize baggage for airspace and inspection (notice that word "inspection" has as its root "spec" the latin word for mirror; an inspection is a mirroring into, an interpretation into, the, in this case, baggage of people's lives: what do their baggage contents tell us about their lives: how are their friendships formed, what are their loyalties, their hopes, their regrets? We can inspect in an oversized way, in general, and dismiss the contents of what people are carrying through the air port, or we can inspect in an undersized way, a way where we glance into and pry apart atomizing and erecting theses and syntheses, a dialectic of baggage and life. We can posit the question "when and in what manner are you your baggage?" and perhaps help them escape their baggage. Is that what people come to airports for? We are checked but decide to carry on.) might cause us some concern, especially when we think of the little planes with the tiny kitten pilots carrying the tiny bags. But I suspect that there might be no limit to undersize baggage - and hence why I didn't see the signs for it. The signs for undersize baggage might be so small that a human eye could not see them. Such signs would be more allusive: a plant out of place, a bit of fuzz, a misplaced book in the news stand - all are signs of undersize baggage.

1 comment:

Cathelou said...

I was actually forced to laugh at "We are checked but carry on." I love you.

Your wife